I Want to see you be Brave?

I am really intrigued to know what the logic is behind the choice of song for the new Microsoft Surface tablet ads.  In general, they seem like fairly effective ads.  I like the message, and I felt like Microsoft has taken a good angle in general, by focusing on the customizability and integration of having an MS based tablet (compared to the relative inflexibility and historical isolation of having an Apple product).  When connected with the ads for the Windows phone, it looks like Microsoft might finally be something like viable competition for Apple and Samsung.




But any positive implications from the ad seem somewhat dampened by the choice of background song.  The beat of "Brave" by Sara Barielles is really popular right now, and has a nice upbeat tempo.  I think that's more than enough musical accompaniment, so I don't understand the choice of closing lines for the tablet ad.  "Honestly, I want to see you be brave."  Now, he says, "Honestly," to sort of, open the ad, but I hardly think that's a strong enough justification.  Are we implying that this curmudgeonly office manager had to be brave to buy this product?

More generally, what in God's green does this mean about Microsoft?  What are they (intentionally or unintentionally) implying?  Does it really take bravery or courage to try a Windows product?  If the gauntlet is being thrown against some of the other tablet giants, it seems to me to be a weak closing salvo with which to finish.  It will definitely take some encouragement to break the Apple grip on consumers, but Microsoft admits so readily that making that switch will take the kind of valiant bravery of the Knights of the Round Table forging on into Saracen territory... (Exaggeration.)  I feel it undermines the message tremendously.  It doesn't instill confidence for me as a potential consumer.

On the flip side, you have Samsung, who is doing an incredible job of challenging the Apple Empire with humor that sort of kind of kicks ass.  I thought it was awesome how quickly after the launch of the new Apple iPad Air that Samsung shot back with this little piece of comedic advertising assassination:


There's seriously nothing I need to say here.  Samsung just took Apple's ad, made it awesome, and I love it.  I am a sucker for calling out the big guy and adding some satire and sarcasm to an ad produced by such austere, self-important monolith manufactures as the Apple Empire (compare: Ottoman, Roman, and Evil).  Honestly, I want to see you be AWESOME.  Thanks Samsung.

Comments

Popular Posts